Entertainment: Bringing the Best of the Performing Arts to North Central Wisconsin

The Grand is so much more than just a theater; it is a gathering place for our community, an arts education facilitator, and an economic driver in the Wausau area. We are proud to play many roles in our community, but first and foremost, The Grand is a presenter of world-class performing arts.

2017 was a momentous year for The Grand with many outstanding accomplishments. We were recognized as one of Pollstar’s Top 150 Theaters in the World, and ranked in the top five among theaters with a capacity of 1,300 or less; we hosted over 200 performances, concerts, parties, and other gatherings; and we welcomed 132,000 patrons through their doors, including an astounding 4,800 who experienced the historic venue for the first time.

The Grand has presented some of the world’s finest performing artists on our stage. From Tony Award winning Broadway musicals like Jersey Boys, Mamma Mia, Pippin, 42nd Street, and Once in recent years, and the upcoming Wausau premier of Kinky Boots in May, to music legends like Kenny G, Aretha Franklin, B.B. King, and so much more.

Our programming has evolved over the years. We continue to present traditional art forms, including ballets like Swan Lake, Romeo & Juliet, and Carmen, as well as classical music performers like Cantus, The King’s Singers, and the Rising Stars of the Metropolitan Opera. You can also count on The Grand to host some artists that are a bit further from the norm. Audiences have enjoyed everything from the swinging jazz of groups like the Hot Sardines and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, to numerous acapella groups (including the World Beatboxing Champion), to the rock’n’roll bagpipers in the Red Hot Chilli Pipers. We have done our best to ensure that The Grand is a magical place for audiences of all ages and tastes.

“It’s a very magical experience,” said Ed Augustine, who has been a volunteer at The Grand for years. “Once the show starts, the sound is great, the lighting is great, and everyone just has a good time here. You can tell by the happy faces, the smiles, and the conversations as everybody leaves the theater. It’s just a great place to be.”

Entertainment: Bringing the Best of the Performing arts to North Central Wisconsin

Dedicated to bringing the best of the performing arts to North Central Wisconsin for almost a hundred years, The Grand Theater has seen the talent of countless Grammy and Tony Award winners as well as world-renowned artists. Community support allows us to continue our work and create memorable experiences for the entire community. Become a part of The Grand Theater's story. Donate Today. Visit www.grandtheater.com for more information.

Posted by Grand Theater Wausau on Thursday, March 22, 2018


Artists from all over the world come to The Grand’s stage to perform for the audiences of North Central Wisconsin. We are so proud to be able to provide access to art, culture, and new ideas right here in Wausau. In 2017, we served patrons from 67 different Wisconsin counties, and we are constantly working to cultivate new audiences, curate new programming, and reach the broadest population possible.

Presenting a Season as diverse as ours isn’t always easy. Artists must be paid regardless of ticket sales. Even after a sold-out show, 80% of ticket revenue goes straight to the artist and production, and the other 20% pays for the theater’s operations. It costs more than ever before to bring shows to the area, and we rely on the gifts of community members to ensure that we can continue to present the best in the performing arts at reasonable ticket prices.

The Grand Theater’s 2018 Fund Drive runs through June 30th. Please consider making a donation today.

Leave a Reply